Saturday, September 11, 2010

Book review: I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti

I just finished reading I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti by Giulia Melucci. The story as a whole, for me is okay. I mean it is a memoir anyway so Giulia is only narrating her life to the readers, particularly, her love life. The relationships that she had, each ending tragically, only because Giulia would always tend to expect a happy ending with these men only to find out in the end that their relationship with her is destined to only be short-lived. The whole point of the book, I think is that for every failed relationship that Giulia would encounter, one of the things that kept her sane, is food. The same goes even if she is enjoying the romantic period of each relationship. I must admit that the only things that made me keep on going with this book are the recipes. I want to know what food will Giulia prepare for the next event on her life. Although, I must also say that Giulia has a skill in writing wherein she always manage to "wake" me whenever I encounter a slow part of the book. Basically, I think that Giulia made the right decision to write a book about love and food combined. I think this combination is so good because most of the readers love love stories, and they also like to eat. But to be fair enough, although I find some parts of the book, quite boring, I was still entertained. I think the fact that this book tells about her life, made this more entertaining and exciting.

For the food lovers though, you will not be satiated by the love story on which this book revolves because for almost every food that Giulia made for occasions, recipes are included in the book. And I love the side comments that she sometimes adds at the end of the cooking procedures. But the best feature for me is the fact that whenever something that has been cooked before makes a comeback on the succeeding recipe, Giulia always include the page number where you will find the recipe of that particular item (example: pasta). And I have observed that Giulia made a whole lotta pasta over her adult life. No wonder her book title suggested spaghetti. In general, I think I can give this book a rating of 3/5. This is due to some references that I cannot relate with simply because it is neither too old or too rare. But I can't wait to try some of her pasta recipes. I am just grateful that I have recipes without buying a cookbook.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Creative Commons License
Critique-ally Speaking by Shiela Briol is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Philippines License.