Saturday, November 27, 2010

See "Saw"

I watched Saw: The Final Chapter this afternoon at Robinson's Place Manila on my own since almost every single one that I asked to come with me said they are scared of the movie's nature.

It was already late when I got to the mall. I only had an hour to spare before the show starts and I haven't eaten my lunch yet. So I grabbed a very quick lunch and practically run to catch the movie. At first, I was so happy to know that the movie is showing at the Midtown. But I was disappointed the moment I walked in. The not-more-than ten rows of seats are too close to the screen. There's not a Balcony section that can make the experience better so I have to settle to the second row since the first row was already full. As I settle to my seat, the discomfort sets in. The screen is too close so I had to tilt my head in order to see the whole screen better.

The movie, as for me lacks something. I think since this movie has seven installments over the years, the story got so predictable already. I had not watched the first five chapters and watched only the sixth chapter and the story really did not change much. There are still, of course, the bloods, screams, the typical antagonist being the wiser than the protagonist but end up losing in the end. And that was it. The movie is a mixture of present storytelling and backflash storytelling. I think it lacks some emotions. There is emotion but in between screams, and deaths, the movie just lost the emotion along the way. You can see the anguish of the victims, the fear in their eyes, but all of these are very technical. I mean, these are prerequisites of a thriller movie but I see no soul in them. Their eyes are cold and are not speaking to me which I am very fond of seeing in a movie. I love it when the eyes are evoking emotions and therefore touching me and letting me live their lives and feel what they are feeling. But in this movie, I felt none except by the jolt I have to endure because of the sound effects and the sickening feeling in my stomach whenever I see some of the most gruesome scenes in the movie. So I think, this is really the best time to end the whole series. Although, the movie sort of used the open-ending kind of end this time, while I think that there are still some loose ends that need to be tied. It was a short film that I think there are some parts that were rushed so some of them turned out "half-baked".

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Creative Commons License
Critique-ally Speaking by Shiela Briol is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Philippines License.